Each product we feature has been independently selected and reviewed by our editorial team. If you make a purchase using the links included, we may earn commission. Learn more
Chefs are always in need of some of the best tools and accessories to meet their routine needs, and there is no exception to kitchen knives. Whether you love to cook for the family and guests at home or are a professional chef in a big restaurant; a knife is always your best companion.
The market is loaded with a wide range of kitchen knives that you may plan to buy for your cooking area, but not all of them are equally reliable. When you need the best tools for your home or restaurant, it is important to go through their reviews and ratings first.
However, if you do not have much time to do such an in-depth analysis; we have done some analysis for you.
So if you are looking for a top-rated kitchen knife set; You have come to the right place, Because whether you are an amateur cook or seasoned one, this article aims to help you find the best cooking knife set for you.
Actually, choosing a good cooking knife set is not that easy. You have to be very careful to compare essential features offered by different brands.
So we have highlighted the six most popular and high in quality knife sets from the best cutlery brands that are already rated high for their outstanding properties and performance.
And to help you choose the best set for your needs, we’ve identified six kitchen knife block sets—ranging from high-end Western and Japanese-style knife block sets to a starter one.
*There are several other models that are more expensive to the ones listed here. but, I wanted these kitchen knife sets to be more budget-friendly.
So what is the best kitchen knife set to buy in 2020? Ready?
Let’s take a closer look at each one;
- Top 5 Countertop Convection Ovens
- The Best 4 Pasta Makers Of 2020
- Top 5 Food Processors For Home Use
- What Is The Difference Between Nakiri Knife And Usuba?
Top 5 best kitchen knife sets with a block Of 2020 Comparison Table
Best Rated Knife Set: Wusthof Classic 7-Pieces
Editor’s Rating :
If you are looking for a professional high-end forged German kitchen knife set, the Wusthof classic series is one of the best you can possibly get.
Indeed, the classic is one of Wusthof finest kitchen knife lines, this set is available in 7 pieces, 9 Pieces and 12.
Okay, let’s take a look at The Wusthof classic 7 kitchen knife set which includes the most useful knives for your kitchen use, each knife in this set is precision forged from single piece of high-carbon stainless steel ( x50CrMov15) that contains molybdenum, chromium, and vanadium to add more hardness, durability, corrosion and stain resistance to the blade.
Wusthof added an exclusive technology called EPtec to this series to enhance blade sharpness by 20% and to last much longer even after extended use, And a tapered cutting edge to reduce the drag when slicing.
And because Wusthof classic is a fully forged knife they have a full tang that goes the entire length of the triple-riveted handle which adds extra durability and robustness.
In addition to a full thick bolster that adds much more balance and heft (it’s great for those who prefer the weight of the knife for cutting and hammering stiff ingredients).
Wusthof classic has a 14-degree cutting edge on each side which means it’s sharper than many Japanese and western style kitchen knives.
And 58c Rockwell hardness means it’s hard enough, to worry about sharpening or maintaining the edge.
A durable handle made of synthetic polyoxymethylene (Pom) which best known for its strength, hardness, and excellent fading, discoloring resistance,
and the most important a safe and non-slip grip even in wet or greasy conditions.
*If you have ever wondered what the difference between the classic and the gourmet series,
The classic is fully forged with superior blade and better edge retention while the gourmet is a stamped kitchen knife with a lower blade quality.*
Wuthsouf class kitchen knife set includes :
- 8-inch Chef’s Knife.
- 8-inch Bread Knife.
- 6-inch kiritsuke prep Knife.
- 5-inch serrated utility knife.
- 3.5-inch Paring Knife.
- Kitchen Shears come apart for easy cleaning.
- Wood Knife Block
Who it’s for?
If the high price doesn’t hurt you, this kitchen knife set is a compelling purchase.
- Constructed to the highest standards in the Solingen area of Germany.
- the block has a slender footprint on the counter.
- High Quality And Durability.
- Comfortable and Safe grip.
- Life-Time Warranty.
- Worth the Cost.
- If you prefer lighter-weight kitchen knives, these knives aren’t likely to be your favorite.
- Slightly expensive.
Best Light-Knife Set: Global G-835/WS 6-Pieces
Editor’s Rating :
Another top-rated kitchen knife set from a professional and well-known Japanese Cutlery brand.
The global g835/Ws – comprised of 5 beautiful high-quality kitchen knives and a stainless steel block, designed to cover all your cooking tasks.
The knives are manufactured in Japan from 18 cromova stainless steel it is a special combination of molybdenum, vanadium, and chromium, which provide the steel with enough hardness and flexibility (C56-C58 Rockwell) to get superb edge retention, ease of sharpening, perfect corrosion, and stain resistance
The global’s blade is thinner than most of the traditional knives, in result it allows it to smoothly slice through the food without causing any damage, and a long taper and prominent edges on both sides to maintain the edge sharpness as long as possible even after extended use, Astonishing, isn’t it?!
*The edge is symmetrical in design to fit right and left-handed users.
The best features about these professional kitchen knives are the super lightweight, which allow you to work with them for long sessions of food prep without any wrist or forearm fatigue,
and the textured stainless-steel hollow handle which filled with the precise amount of sand to deliver a perfect balance to the knife, besides an extraordinary build to eliminate hiding spots for foods.
In a nutshell, every piece of this kitchen knife set is manufactured to extremely high and exacting Japanese standards.
Global g83/Ws 6 Pieces set includes:
- G4 – 7” Chef’s Knife
- G3 – 8 ¼ “Carving Knife
- G9 – 8 ½” Bread Knife
- GS7 – 4” Paring Knife
- GS3 – 5” Utility Knife
- G835/Kb – 11 Slot Stainless Steel Knife block (spare slots can be used by other kitchen knives and knife sharpener you already own)
Who it’s For?
Anyone who is looking for a little more than a typical kitchen knife set.
- Symmetrical in design, will work great for right and left-handed.
- Life-Time warranty against defects in materials and workmanship.
- Stamped from a single piece of steel.
- Knives made of high-Quality materials.
- Exquisite balance.
- The handle may get slippery and greasy after long working hours.
- Not much room for knuckles.
Best All Purpose Set : Zwilling J.A. Henckels
Editor’s Rating :
We are going to talk about one of the top-rated knife block set from J.A Henckels. It has gained huge popularity in the market within very less time; and of course, there is a reason behind it.
The Zwilling J.A. Henckels 30782-000 Twin Signature 19-Piece Knife Block Set is already used by several chefs and homemakers; they are happy with the performance. The amazing thing to know about this product is that it comes in the form of a combo with almost all types of tools you may need for cooking.
The list includes set of 8 non-serrated steak knives, 4-inch parer, 2.5-inch peeler, 5 inches serrated utility, 4.5-inch utility, 8-inch chef, 6-inch utility, 8-inch bread knife, 7-inch Santoku hollow edge, 9-inch sharpening steel, and kitchen shears.
Moreover, the package also includes a block for easy storage, and it is made up of high-quality bamboo material. It is a perfect choice for the modern as well as traditional kitchen designs.
Experts rate this knife set as the best choice for heavy cooking routines as these knives are made up of premium quality materials.
The best news for the buyers is that the product is covered under a lifetime warranty offered by J.A. Henckels. You will find these knives to be dishwasher safe up to a certain level; however, in order to maintain their life, it is better to wash them by hand right after usage.
You might be aware of the fact that J.A. Henckels has designed several amazing kitchen accessories within the past few years, but this one gained huge popularity in the market.
The main reason behind its reputation is that Zwilling has used special formula steel in combination with Friodur blade to design these tools.
These knives are ice-hardened to achieve 57 Rockwell Hardness. Hence, these tools last longer even with regular usage.
And guess what?
The laser-controlled edge of these knives can be hand polished and sharpened with ease. It leads to easy maintenance routines without looking for an expert.
The knives are designed with a 15-degree angle on both sides that make it more suitable for professional chefs.
The 4.5-inch Vegetable Utility Knife included in this package is almost the same as that of a steak knife. You can buy this product online at a reasonable price and ensure fast delivery at your doorstep.
Who it’s For?
Whether you are an amateur home cook or you have skills, this kitchen knife set will be one of your best friends in the kitchen.
- High-quality materials and workmanship.
- Well-balanced and, comfortable grip.
- Maintains sharpness.
- Maximized efficiency.
- Dishwasher Safe.
- Takes up lots of counter space.
- Relatively pricey.
Best Knife Set with Built-In Sharpener: Chicago Cutlery Insignia 2
Editor’s Rating :
The Insignia Steel 18 Piece Knife Set by Chicago Cutlery is a set of professional knives for any busy kitchen and a perfect set for an upgrading family or as a gift for a starting family, and a must-have kitchen product for chopping, slicing, dicing, and mincing.
The set composed of 18 pieces, so you no longer need to worry about buying individual knives at a higher price, especially if you are only an amateur cook who does not know what each knife is for!
The whole set comes with forged high-carbon stainless steel blades and handles since the knives are forged its means they feature a full tang extends the full length of the knife from the tip to grip, to give you added strength, control, balance, durability and to offer ultimate sharpness and to retain its edge perfectly even when re-sharpened time and time again.
Chicago Cutlery Insignia 2 blades contain high carbon content, so they are much stronger, harder, very easy to re-sharpen, and have a perfect resistance to stains, pitting, and rust.
It also comes with a forged bolster to keep your fingers from running onto the blade. And black riveted black ergonomic polymer that offers a slip-resistant minimizes wrist tension and designed with balance and comfort in mind.
Made with taper grind edge technology which means straight tapering on both sides of the knife to grant it a low cutting drag, maintain more straight to the blade and makes the knife perfect for both left and right-handed users. (sometimes flat grind known as “V” grind too.)
Each knife comes with optimum sharpness to give you a precise cutting experience, and All of them can quickly be organized in the 18-slot rubber-footed cherry woodblock that comes with the set!
Who it’s for?
Anyone who needs a robust, balanced and comprehensive kitchen knife set without breaking the bank.
Insignia 2 set includes:
- 8-inch chef’s knife
- 7-inch Santoku knife
- 8-inch serrated bread knife
- 8-inch slicer
- 6-inch boning knife
- 5-inch utility knife
- 3-inch paring knife
- 3 ¼ inch paring knife
- A pair of shears
- 18-slot block
- Symmetrical in design, will work great for right and left-handed.
- Sturdy, Durable and resistant to rust and stains
- Ergonomic handle
- Easy to re-sharpen
- In-block sharpener Creates a very sharp edge
- Too much sharpening leaves scuffs on the knife
- Quite expensive
- Limited lifetime warranty
Best Affordable Knife Set: Mercer culinary genesis 6-Pieces
One more economical high-end forged German style kitchen knives set offered by mercer culinary a well-respected name in the cutlery industry.
They have been in the market for 30 years it’s a short period compared to other old kitchen knives companies, but mercer culinary has proven it’s self over the years that it is a first-rate kitchen knife and professional culinary tools makers.
So I had to review one of their best kitchen knives set, it’s the mercer culinary genesis 6 pieces with a block.
A high-end forged kitchen knives set I defiantly recommend to everyone who’s looking for a good kitchen knife set for a reasonable price.
Mercer culinary 6- pieces set comprised of 5 kitchen knives made of high carbon, no-stain x50CrMoV15 steel sourced from Germany and manufactured in Taiwan,
with a limited lifetime warranty.
Since it’s a full forged kitchen knife set, the thick bolster can be found as well a full tang handle.
All those elements combined together provide the knife extra strength, durability, counter-balance, and control.
The blade has 58HRC Rockwell hardness for easy sharpening and outstanding edge retention. and a taper ground edge for more stability and better slicing.
Let’s get to the part I like the most about this kitchen knife and it’s the handle, the mercer genesis series has an ergonomic Santoprene handle offers excellent comfort, slip resistance and soft textured grip, on the contrary to the mercer renaissance series which has the standard looking traditional triple riveted design.
A sleek, elegant and stylish glass block that allows you to see where every knife is located in the block. it can be quickly assembled and disassembled for easy cleaning.
but sadly some owners complain that pulling out a knife from the block is a little bit hard if it’s located under a cupboard, due to the shape of the block, it’s not angled as most traditional blocks.
Mercer Genesis kitchen knife set with block includes:
- 8 inch – Chef Knife
- 8 Inch – Bread Knife
- 6 inch – Boning Knife
- 5 inch – Utility Knife
- 3.5 inch – Paring Knife
- knives block (you can choose between tempered glass, Woodblock with Tempered Glass)
Who it’s For?
Anyone looking for a good kitchen knife set, without the hefty price tag.
- The handle can withstand hot and cold temperatures.
- Comfortable, soft and safe grip.
- Made of high-quality materials.
- Life-Time Warranty.
- Great Value.
- Honing steel not included.
- The glass must be cleaned from time to time.
Best Starter Knife Set: Victorinox 8-Pieces
If you can’t afford the global kitchen knife set and you still looking for high quality stamped knives set that is highly recommended by chefs and home cooks and for a bargain price, then the Victorinox 8 set is the best choice for you by all mean.
I definitely recommend this Victorinox kitchen knife set for anyone looking for a razor-sharp kitchen knife set for a reasonable price.
Comes with kitchen shears, honing steel and 7 kitchen knives made of high-carbon stainless steel and went through a special tempering process by Victorinox to provide the maximum sharpness and retention to the knife.
The most significant thing about those knives, they are really lightweight, yet sturdy, tough and well balanced.
Although 55-56 Rockwell hardness knives will lose edge sharpness overuse, I am not saying they are bad knives but as long you are using the knives in a proper way and honing constantly, they will last you decades.
Victorinox features a textured ergonomic handle combined of rubber and plastic to delivers a good balance and comfort,
And the most important a slip-resistance and safe grip even in wet conditions.(by the way, not the best looking handle)
but they are not fully tanged Since they are stamped knives, so I recommend not to use it to cut or hammer hard ingredients.
To wrap it up I recommend this kitchen knife to anyone on a budget since it offers almost 95% of the knives you will need in your kitchen for a bargain price.
If you ask me, Victorinox beats more expensive kitchen knife sets in quality and sharpness.
Victoria Fibrox set includes:
- 8” Chef’s Knife
- 8” Bread Knife
- 10” Slicing Knife
- 6” Boning Knife
- 4” Paring Knife
- Kitchen Sears
- Sharpening steel
- Slant hardwood block
Who it’s For?
Just getting into kitchen knives? this set is a perfect option for starters.
- Light-Weight, good balance, ergonomic handle.
- The set offers almost all the basic kitchen knives.
- Life-Time warranty.
- Great Value.
- Pairing knife is a little big for me.( but its a matter of preference)
In this article, I reviewed 2 forged and 2 stamped kitchen knife sets with a diverse price range to make it easy for you to pick.
if you prefer to work with light knives then the Global and Victorinox should be on the top of your list.
On the other hand, if you prefer kitchen knives with heft and durability, then Wusthof Classic and mercer genesis should be your first picks.
Hopefully, this list solves your kitchen knife set buying woes, and you will be able to buy the best kitchen knife set, that fits your budget and cooking style.
- Best Frying Pans And Skillets
- Best Moscow mule Mug Gift Sets
- 10 Of The Best-Reviewed Kitchen Appliances, you Can Get!
What To Look For When Buying A Kitchen Knife Set
For home kitchen always looks for a set the include at least:
- A chef knife – A multipurpose knife best at slicing, mincing, dicing, and chopping.
- A paring knife – Best at trimming and peels fruits/vegetables and garnishes.
- Serrated Knife – Ideal for tough outside and soft inside foo like bread and tomato…
Those are the 3 knives you should seek in every kitchen knife set, but you can look for additional knives, but it all depends on your cooking style.
- Boning knife – A knife for detaching meat from the bone, it usually comes with a narrow blade.
- Fillet Knife – Its a more flexible version of the boning knife, and it’s good for delicate fish.
- Cleave – For heavy tasks like cutting bone, rib…
- Honing Steel – For keeping your knives sharp and steady.
- Kitchen Sears – For snipping herbs, cutting chicken, chopping bacon…
- Carbon Steel blade – Well-known for its extra sharpness, ease of sharpening and holding an edge longer the stainless steel blade, but on the other hand carbon steel blades need extra care and maintenance which is prone to rust.
- Stainless steel – Hard to sharpen, poor edge retention but good stain and corrosion resistance.
- High Carbon stainless steel – It is a combination of carbon steel and stainless steel to provide the knife with extra sharpness, edge retention, and rust/corrosion resistance.
- Ceramic – One of the sharpness knives out there, but they may chip and break easily beside it is hard to sharpen.
- VG10 – Most popular among Japanese knife makers, its a combination of molybdenum, chromium, vanadium, carbon, and cobalt to give the knife an excellent sharpness, extra edge retention, and corrosion and rust resistance, the only downside about the VG10 it is brittle and not flexible enough which make it prone to chipping.
Different manufacturers offer different options for warranty, always prefer to check its warranty to have complete peace of mind.
A product with a long warranty is always the best purchasing decision, and always double-check what it covers exactly and not just the length.
A large storage block can fill a bit of room on your counter, always ensure that the set you are considering to buy will fit perfectly on your countertop or your cabinet.
( If you are limited in space magnetic strips is an excellent option too)
It is the sharp edge of the blade or a knife or other cutting tool, and it should be running from the tip to the bolster of the blade, give better cutting techniques, easier honing and sharpening.
Somehow it is a personal preference matter, but always look out for ergonomic design for less hand and wrist fatigue, and textured or non-slip grips.
And I do prefer full tang construction, especially If you cook on a regular basis and you use the heft of the knife to cut hard ingredients, so you will never have to worry about your knives breaking at the handles.
Which means the weight of the knife equally distributed between the handle and the blade, if you are planning to work with the knife for a long session of food prep, then the balance is one of the first things you must consider before buying.
I think it more a personal preference too, you have to try out some knives, to get to the one that fits you.
High price tag is not a factor of good quality kitchen knives, nor a brand name, to get the best of your money always try to find a knife set that meets the points we mentioned above, and of course fit your budget, in this article we reviewed 4 different kitchen knife sets with varying price range to help you with your decisions.
The Criteria We Used In Our Test
*Customer reviews/ratings on several platforms and their problem reports.
* Handle. (material, Grip, And tang)
* Ease of sharpening And Sharpness.
* Rockwell Hardness.
* Weight And Balance.
TIPS AND RECOMMENDATIONS
- A knife-edge becomes rolled or turned from direct contact with cutting boards, bones or other hard objects, knives should be honed after every couple of uses, Honing steel will keep your knives sharper and performing at their best, but it won’t sharpen a dull knife.
- Do not chop the hard object and surface like glass or bone.
- After significant use, the steel particles become damaged and the edge cannot be brought back by honing, so sharpening is necessary.
- Always sharpen in the same direction, whether it’s front-to-back or back-to-front.
- Store your knives in a knife block or on a Magnetic Knife Rack to preserve the cutting edge.
- Don’t store your knives in a drawer they will dull faster and there is a chance to cut yourself.
- Don’t clean your knives in the dishwasher, always hand-wash and dry immediately.
- For More Tips: Tips To Maintain You Kitchen Knives, How to Keep Your Knives Razor Sharp